D9520 Young Professionals Forum - Attracting Young Professionals Part 1
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of D9520 Young Professionals Forum - Attracting Young Professionals Part 1
- 1. Welcome to the Young Professionals Forum District 9520
- 2. 50% of the worlds population is under 50 12% of our districts membership is under 50
- 3. Young Professionals Forum August 8, 2013 Attracting Young Professionals Part 1 Identifying our Challenges 6 Major Challenges Rotary needs to overcome
- 4. Since when do Rotarians take the easy option?
- 5. You might need to get uncomfortable. Challenge 1:
- 6. So, why is change so hard to implement? Over 50 Under 50 Because this group is comfortable.
- 7. You can be comfortable now or later, but not both.
- 8. We need to offer a more appealing version of Rotary. Challenge 2:
- 9. SOCIAL PROGRESS Developing world Poor access to: Education Healthcare Potable Water Sanitation Electricity Poor Infrastructure Low empowerment of women Non-existent welfare system Unstable government These people see Rotary as a symbol of progress (Scientific & Technological Advancement, Economic Maturity) Membership growth
- 10. SOCIAL PROGRESS Developed world Good access to: Education Healthcare Hot & Cold Water Sanitation Electricity Good Infrastructure Equality for women Welfare system Stable government Some of these people see Rotary as a symbol of obsolescence Membership decline MASSIVE SOCIETAL CHANGE
- 11. SOCIAL PROGRESS If Rotary is to grow in the Developed world, we need to offer a different version of Rotary a version that will appeal to a new generation.
- 12. The first change must be our mindset. Challenge 3:
- 13. mindset: (noun) a set of beliefs or a way of thinking that determines ones behaviour, outlook and mental attitude
- 14. We have an OLD and DYING mindset.
- 15. positioning is a marketing strategy that aims to make a brand occupy a distinct position, relative to competing brands, in the mind of the customer
- 16. Meetings cannot remain at the centre of our Rotary universe. Challenge 4:
- 17. We need to change our message. Challenge 5:
- 18. What do we lead with? If our entire communication strategy with non-Rotarians was a newspaper or the nightly TV news, what would our headline be?
- 19. Whats in it for me? Polio Eradication Schools Hospitals Clean Water Youth Exchange Shelter Box
- 20. Whats in it for me? Teamwork Fun & Friendship Leadership Networking Mentoring Responsibility
- 21. ?
- 22. We need to aim for true vocational diversity. Challenge 6:
- 23. Breakdown of Employment Status D9520
- 24. Doctor Teacher PoliceOfficer Accountant Mechanic Architect Student Apprentice / Trainee Employee Manager Retired ? ?
- 25. We define our leaders by the way we think, not by our title.