CPS 216: Data-intensive Computing Systems Shivnath Babu.
of 18 /18
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of CPS 216: Data-intensive Computing Systems Shivnath Babu.
- Slide 1
- CPS 216: Data-intensive Computing Systems Shivnath Babu
- Slide 2
- A Brief History Relational database management systems Time 1975- 1985 1985- 1995 1995- 2005 2005- 2010 2020 Let us first see what a relational database system is
- Slide 3
- Data Management Data Query User/Application DataBase Management System (DBMS)
- Slide 4
- Example: At a Company IDNameDeptIDSalary 10Nemo12120K 20Dory15679K 40Gill8976K 52Ray3485K IDName 12IT 34Accounts 89HR 156Marketing EmployeeDepartment Query 1: Is there an employee named Nemo? Query 2: What is Nemos salary? Query 3: How many departments are there in the company? Query 4: What is the name of Nemos department? Query 5: How many employees are there in the Accounts department?
- Slide 5
- DataBase Management System (DBMS)High-level Query Q DBMS Data Answer Translates Q into best execution plan for current conditions, runs plan
- Slide 6
- Example: Store that Sells Cars MakeModelOwnerID HondaAccord12 ToyotaCamry34 MiniCooper89 HondaAccord156 IDNameAge 12Nemo22 34Ray42 89Gill36 156Dory21 Cars Owners Filter (Make = Honda and Model = Accord) Join (Cars.OwnerID = Owners.ID) MakeModelOwnerIDIDNameAge HondaAccord12 Nemo22 HondaAccord156 Dory21 Owners of Honda Accords who are