Civil Wars- Does foreign intervention intensify or relieve civil wars?
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Civil Wars- Does foreign intervention intensify or relieve civil wars?
Civil Wars- Does foreign intervention intensify or
relieve civil wars?
Facts about civil wars• According to the World Bank, Since
1945 20 million have lost their lives to civil war
• 67 million have been displaced. • Most civil wars take place in
WHY WARS?• Resources• Territory –Land–Access to the sea
• Ethnicity• Religion• Ideology
Why do civil wars happen?• Because a part of a country tries to
be independent from the rest.• Because people disagree about
internal policies within a nation and are unwilling or unable to find political compromise. Positions harden, extremists commit acts of violence, and citizens take up arms against each other.
Case studies of China and Spain• China 1945-1949• Spain 1936-1939• Both wars had huge effects on global affairs• In China, the outcome was the development of a
Communist China• In Spain, the outcome was the declaration by
Adolf Hitler of World War Two.• Could they have been avoided????• If foreign intervention is important in solving civil
wars, how come these wars led to disastrous results?
What do these places have in common?
• India - Amel• Congo - Zayan• Uganda - Adam• Burundi - Wissam• Russia - John• Nepal - Kieran• Somolia • Colombia • Indonesia • Sudan
• Find info (duration, individuals/groups, ideology) on one of these civil wars. Note down the site.
• A powerpoint• A video• An image• A podcast• Sound clip• Specific fact from a website (not wikipedia)