BREAKFAST Creamy oatmeal (cooked in milk): ½ cup uncooked oatmeal 1 cup fat-free milk 2 Tbsp...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of BREAKFAST Creamy oatmeal (cooked in milk): ½ cup uncooked oatmeal 1 cup fat-free milk 2 Tbsp...
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Slide 3
- BREAKFAST Creamy oatmeal (cooked in milk): cup uncooked oatmeal 1 cup fat-free milk 2 Tbsp raisins 2 tsp brown sugar Beverage: 1 cup orange juice LUNCH Taco salad: 2 ounces tortilla chips 2 ounces cooked ground turkey 2 tsp corn/canola oil (to cook turkey) cup kidney beans* ounce low-fat cheddar cheese cup chopped lettuce cup avocado 1 tsp lime juice (on avocado) 2 Tbsp salsa Beverage: 1 cup water, coffee, or tea** DINNER Spinach lasagna roll-ups: 1 cup lasagna noodles(2 oz dry) cup cooked spinach cup ricotta cheese 1 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese cup tomato sauce* 1 ounce whole wheat roll 1 tsp tub margarine Beverage: 1 cup fat-free milk SNACKS 2 Tbsp raisins 1 ounce unsalted almonds
- Slide 4
- WHAT NUTRIENTS ARE IN THE HAMBURGER BUN? WHAT FOOD GROUP IS THE HAMBURGER BUN? CARBOHYDRATES GRAINS
- Slide 5
- WHAT NUTRIENTS ARE IN THE LETTUCE? WHAT FOOD GROUP IS THE LETTUCE? FIBER VEGETABLES
- Slide 6
- WHAT NUTRIENTS ARE IN THE TOMATOES? WHAT FOOD GROUP IS THE TOMATOES? FIBER VEGETABLE
- Slide 7
- WHAT NUTRIENTS ARE IN THE HAMBURGER MEAT? WHAT FOOD GROUP IS THE HAMBURGER MEAT? PROTEIN
- Slide 8
- A serving is a specific amount of food defined by common measurements, such as cups or tablespoons. A portion is the amount of food you put on your plate.
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- One medium orange or apple is the size of a tennis ball, which equals 60 calories.
- Slide 11
- Half a cup of cooked carrots is equal to the size of a baseball Raw leafy spinach is equal to two baseballs and is equal to one serving of vegetables.
- Slide 12
- Half a cup of whole-grain cooked pasta is about the same size as a hockey puck and equals one carbohydrate serving, or about 70 calories
- Slide 13
- Two-thirds of a cup of low-fat cottage cheese is about the same as four dice and equals one protein/dairy serving, or about 110 calories. One and a half to 2 ounces of low-fat hard cheddar cheese is about the same size as three to four dice and equals one protein/dairy serving, or about 110 calories.
- Slide 14
- A 2.5-ounce piece of cooked skinless chicken is about the same size as two-thirds of a deck of cards and equals one protein/dairy serving, or about 110 calories. A 2-ounce patty of cooked lean hamburger is about the same size as two-thirds of a deck of cards and equals one protein/dairy serving, or about 110 calories.
- Slide 15
- Two teaspoons of regular mayonnaise are about the same size as two dice and equal one fat serving, or about 45 calories. It's easy to overestimate a serving of almonds and other nuts because they're so small. Just seven whole almonds (or 4 teaspoons slivered) equal one fat serving, or about 45 calories.
- Slide 16
- How would you be able to use what you learned about serving sizes in this type of Thinking Map (Bridge Map)? Do one for each Food Group: Vegetable, Fruit, Protein, Grains, Dairy. Relating Factor: __________________
- Slide 17
- Nutrients Food Pyramid Reading Food Labels
- Slide 18
- 1.CARBOHYDRATES 2.FIBER 3.PROTEIN 4.FATS
- Slide 19
- DEFINITION: ARE THE STARCHES AND SUGARS PRESENT IN FOODS SIMPLE: -SUGARS -FRUCTOSE & LACTOSE -FOUND IN FRUIT & MILK COMPLEX: -STARCHES -FOUND IN WHOLE GRAINS, SEEDS, NUTS, POTATOES
- Slide 20
- DEFINITION: IS AN INDIGESTIBLE COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATE THAT IS FOUND IN THE TOUGH, STRINGY PARTS OF VEGETABLES, FRUITS, AND WHOLE WHOLE GRAINS
- Slide 21
- DEFINITION: NUTRIENTS THAT HELP BUILD AND MAINTAIN BODY CELLS AND TISSUE COMPLETE PROTEIN -ALL 9 ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS -FOUND IN FISH, MEAT, POULTRY, EGGS, MILK, CHEESE, YOGURT INCOMPLETE PROTEIN -LACK ONE OR MORE OF ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS -FOUND IN BEANS, PEAS, NUTS, WHOLE GRAINS
- Slide 22
- DEFINITION: FATS ARE A TYPE OF LIPID, WHICH IS A FATTY SUBSTANCE THAT DOES NOT DISSOLVE IN WATER SATURATED FATS -ANIMAL FATS (EGGS YOLK, BEEF, PORK) -TROPICAL OILS (COCONUT OIL) UNSATURATED FATS -OLIVE OIL, CANOLA OIL
- Slide 23
- BREAKFAST 2 Egg Whites___Calories Food Group: Protein Nutrients: Protein 2 Pieces of Toast____Calories Food Group: Grains Nutrients: Carbs 1 Cup Skim Milk____Calories Food Group: Milk Nutrients: Protein Total Calories for Breakfast:_____ Compared to McDonalds Egg McMuffin: _____
- Slide 24
- DINNER Lemon Peppered Chicken Breast___Calories Food Group: Protein Nutrients: Protein Green Beans____Calories Food Group: Vegetables Nutrients: Fiber Water____Calories Total Calories for Dinner:_____ Compared to McDonalds Big Mac with Medium French Fries and Large Coke: _____
- Slide 25