Embed Size (px)
My talk from EuroIA 2012 in Rome. How product designers should understand the basics of brand theory to build a differentiated proposition, values and personality into the heart of the digital product experience.
Transcript of Brand-driven design
- A MINIMUM VIABLE PRESENTATION FOR EURO IA 2012BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGN @MIKEATHERTON
- 50 MILLION USERS 50 years 10 years 5 years 6 months 50 days
- TECHNOLOGY LIFECYCLE Experience wars Feature wars Pure function Don Norman, The Invisible Computer, 1998
- The feature wars are an arms race. Beyond lies experience.
- Good design is invisible.Dieter Rams
- TECHNOLOGY LIFECYCLE Commodities Experience wars Feature wars Pure function Don Norman, The Invisible Computer, 1998
- Emotional design seeks to increase the motivation to use a product.Via Josh Porter andStephen Anderson
- 2001No wireless. Less space than aNomad. Lame. I dont see many salesin the future of iPod.Slashdot commenterI still cant believe this! All this hypefor something so ridiculous! Whocares about an MP3 player?MacRumors commenter300,000,000 iPods sold (October 2011)
- Ive never been particularly goodwith numbers, but I think Ivedone a reasonable job withfeelings.Im convinced that it is feelings,and feelings alone, that accountfor the success of the Virginbrand and all its myriad forms.Richard Branson
- BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGN PART IIUNDERSTANDING BRANDING @MIKEATHERTON
- Branding is not the same thing aschoosing a logo or colour palette.
- A brand is the single idea you ownin the mind of the consumer.
- SAFETY in cars
- OVERNIGHT in freight
- THE FIRST LAW OF BRANDING IS FOCUSOWNING A SINGLE DIFFERENTIATED IDEA IN THE CUSTOMER MIND AL RIES, THE 22 IMMUTABLE LAWS OF BRANDING
- Every category has a leader and a challenger.
- Huddle seeks to challenge the space dominated by Sharepoint.
- CHALLENGER BRANDS REFRAME THE CONVERSATIONGETTING CONSUMERS TO CONSIDER THE CATEGORY IN NEW WAYS ADAM MORGAN, THE PIRATE INSIDE
- Segmenting a category creates new leadership opportunity.
- Im lovin it.
- Reassuringly expensive
- Just do it
- Im lovin it. Reassuringly expensive Just do itPersonal, informal, Premium, reliable Assertive, simple, feminine transparent Branding describes the position, not the product.
- In the factory, we makecosmetics. In the drugstorewe sell hope.Charles Revson,founder of Revlon
- Digital products are their own brand marketing.
- Tone of voice in a product communicates brand personality... Screenshotsofdespair.tumblr.com
- ...as do the moments of theatreand irreverent delight.
- Focus product design around your category differentator.
- BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGNPUTS YOUR DIFFERENTIATOR, VALUES AND ATTITUDE INTO THE HEART OF YOUR PRODUCT.
- BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGN PART IIIBUILDING A BRAND @MIKEATHERTON
- Brand building is a customer journey... K L Keller, 2001
- Customer-basedBrand Equity Model ...both rational and emotional. RESONANCE JUDGEMENTS FEELINGS PERFORMANCE IMAGERY SALIENCE K L Keller, 2001
- Your mission is the change you want to see in the world.
- Find inspiration from within your company.
- In the UK, the Co-operative own the category of ethical banking.
- You need to live your values ineverything you do.
- Personality transforms the relationship we have with ordinary products.
- Sometimes rational benefit is notenough to occupy the mind...
- ...yet character can create a strong emotional bond.
- A backstory develops the character and helps engagement. www.naugahyde.com/history.html
- Naugahyde built a differentiator of cruelty-free fabric.
- Owning the character helps people connect with the brand.
- Be the nauga. Build engagement through personality.
- BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGN PART IVTHE BRANDING WORKSHOP @MIKEATHERTON
- Run a brand development workshop to defineyour values and personality traits.
- TRAITS AND VALUESBrand personality is driven by two things:TRAITS: Your specific characteristics, or howothers would describe you.VALUES: The iconic things that you stand forabove all else.
- Plot your performance against other brands.
- Assess the positioning of competitorsto uncover your own.
- Define your personality to determine tone of voice.
- Use known characters to define your own.Hugh LaurieBritish manner with globalrelevance, dry sarcasm. New MINIDavid Tennant British know-how, Tina FeyCharm, British but glamour, fun, well-built, Modern woman, intelligent humor,global, warmth, informal, technology wrapped in timeless style. touch of sarcasm.geek chic.
- Write it. Share it. Live it.
- UniqueBrand voice must beunique, authentic Authenticand talkable.Rohit BhargavaPersonality Not Included, 2010 Talkable Personality
- BRAND-DRIVEN DESIGN PART VJUST DO IT @MIKEATHERTON
- Web design favours fashion over differentiation.
- Imitated experiences cannot be owned.
- Consumer web products are full of happy happy joy joy!
- Playful, informal tone is lovely...
- ...but is quickly losing distinctiveness. wackaging.tumblr.com
- Find product touchpoints tointroduce brand voice.
- B2B products struggle to show distinctive personality.
- How much mail would a MailChimp mail if a MailChimp could chimp mail?