Assignment 1 English Brief
Embed Size (px)
This is the brief for our assignment 1 English 1 semester 1 FNBE.
Transcript of Assignment 1 English Brief
- SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING & DESIGN Foundation in Natural and Built Environment (FNBE) English 1 [ENGL0105] Assignment: Essay Question Assignment Individual work. LO As per stated in the module 25% Essay Due on 2nd May 2014 (until 9pm to be submitted on Edmodo) (Drafts of assignment to be shown on 29th April 2014) INTRODUCTION This assignment evaluates academic writing skills for a basic 5-paragraph expository or argumentative essay. It also evaluates the students ability to research information to support the arguments proposed in the essay, to cite the sources of information and also to provide a list of references. Referencing: All persons, books and other sources of information are to be referenced in accordance with the APA Style. OBJECTIVES OF ESSAY WRITING The objectives of this project are as follows: 1. Provide practice in basic 5-paragraph essay writing. 2. Provide instructions in basic referencing skills. 3. Provide basic analytical skills for contemporary essays and reading texts. LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THIS REPORT Thelearningoutcomesofthis assignmentare: 1. Write a well-developed and well-organised 5-paragraph process writing essay 2. Apply the right processes for this kind of expository writing
- 3. Analyse contemporary essays and reading texts critically. TASKS METHODOLOGY Your tasks are as follows: Identify the steps involved in producing an attractive sketch. Then, write a process essay to describe this process. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENT 1. The word limit for this assignmentis 600 to 800 words only. 2. You must research the topic that you choose and write an essay that is informed by authority. 3. Submissions after May 2nd, 2014 will not be entertained. 4. The essay must be typed on A4 paper using font style ARIAL point size 12 with double spacing. 5. Your essay must be submitted with the following: i. pre-writing (draft of your essay) ii. cover page (follow the attached format) ASSESSMENT CRITERIA The assessment for this assignment will be based on: Your demonstrated understanding of the brief. The content of the write-upstrength of central idea and relevance to the question. Clear and coherent organization of ideas and argument. Ability to use scholarly references to support arguments and ideas. Grammar and mechanics.
- MARKING CRITERIA Descriptors Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5 Total Percentage 40-49% 50-59% 60-69% 70-79% 80%& above Marks Prewriting - 10 (per paragraph) Lack supporting detailsor examples One supporting detailor example Two supporting detailsor examples 3 supporting detailsor examples Goodand sequentially developed Unity 10 (Structure) Intro/Supporting Paragraphs/ Conclusion Essay is not assigned with the topic with general introduction and conclusion 2 main ideas provided with general supporting ideaswith general introduction and conclusion. 3 main ideas provided but they are loosely connected. Introduction with a thesis statement anda general conclusion. Provided a thesis statement with 3 topic sentencesbut eachparagraph contains2or less specific details.No recommendation for the conclusion. Well developed introductionwith a thesis statement, 3 topic sentencesand3 specific details for each paragraphsand has recommendations for the conclusion. Support 30 Provides general ideaswith onespecific detail. Provides two specific details. Logical progression in ideas.3- 4specific details included. Logical progressionin ideas.5-7 specific details included. Ideas are clear andlogical. Provides 8 or morespecific detailswith resource information. Coherence 30 Essays showlittle development or relationship among ideas. Uses 2 or less transitional wordsor other word connectors. Lackof logical progression. Uses 3 word connectors. Sequence of ideais evident. Uses 4 word connectors. Logical progressionof ideas. Showsan in- depth understandingof topic and provides independent thought. Sentenceskills 20 Compose simpleand monotonous sentences. Serious errors in choiceof wordsand mechanics. Compose simple sentences with numerous errors in mechanics. Appropriate choiceof words. Compound sentences with fewer errors in mechanics. Ability to use precise choiceof words. Complex sentence structureand consistentuse of mechanics. Freefrom errors in sentence structure, choice of words and grammar.
- SUGGESTED REFERENCES 1. Langan, J. (2008). College Writing Skills with Readings. (7th Ed.)New York: McGraw Hill. 2. Terry, M. & Wilson, J. (n.d.) Focus on Academic Skills for IELTS. Longman.
- SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING AND DESIGN FOUNDATION IN NATURAL BUILD ENVIRONMENT NAME: STUDENT ID NO: WORD COUNT: ENGLISH 1 (ELG 30505) WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT 1: PROCESS ESSAY LECTURER: CASSANDRA WIJESURIA SUBMISSIONDATE: 2ND MAY2014