Assertive Communication At Workplaces
Embed Size (px)
The importance of assertive communication practices at workplaces across the globe. This presentation is a part of case-study based lecture at Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Bengaluru, India. All rights reserved .
Transcript of Assertive Communication At Workplaces
- If you dont have the strength to impose your terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you.. - T.S. Eliot Growing Importance of Assertive Communication at Workplaces
- Standing up for your personal rights Your personal rights Expressing yourself in direct, honest and appropriate way Without being aggressive, Quality of being Self assured confident Developing your assertiveness starts with Knowing who you are Belief in the values you bring ASSERTIVENESS
- When you have all three things, you get.. Self-Confidence Helps to improve your work-life
- Assertive communication is the straightforward and open expression of your needs, desires, thoughts and feelings. Assertive communication involves advocating for your own needs while still considering and respecting the needs of others.
- Different Communication styles Assertiveness Passive Aggressive Passive Aggressive
- At workplaces Dynamic balance between Aggressive & Passive conduct Value your right without violating the rights of others Receive criticism & compliments positively Express your thoughts & feelings in a healthy & positive manner Learn to say No when you need to
- What Should an Organization Do? Commitment and willingness to address the situation Recognition, Self-awareness and creating opportunities Standard set of behaviour policies and procedures Encourage employees to report disruptive behaviours Taking action though appropriate intervention strategies. Focused team training programs Having a clinical champion or early adopter
- Employees should have The right to be consulted about decisions that affect them in their work. The right to know what is expected of them in their jobs. The right to make genuine mistakes and do not deserve blame and put- downs. The right to feel respected in the workplace. The responsibility to respect other employees rights, irrespective of seniority. What Should an Organization keep in Mind?
- Consequences of Neglecting Assertive Communication Lack of self confidence and low self esteem Negative feeling and thoughts about oneself Unable to take control of any situation and dependent on others Dismissive of feedback Unwilling to take responsibility and initiatives Use of harsh words and offending others Submissive attitude
- Is Assertiveness Important at workplace ? 43 39 7 3 50 57 0 1 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 No Work-ex With Work-ex Agree Somewhat Agree Strongly Agree Strongly Disagree
- Is Assertiveness Important at Social life? 59 53 7 3 14 13 20 31 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 No Work-ex With Work-ex Agree Disagree Somewhat Agree Strongly Agree
- Respondents who Consciously try to be Assertive 41 18 27 27 32 55 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 No Work-ex With Work-ex Can't Say No Yes
- Kashyap Kashish K.Sriram Kevin HarshadKavya