Are you data-driven or addicted to data?
Embed Size (px)
Are you addicted to data? Here's a self diagnosis to see if you're on the path to bad data habits, and some counter measures to put into action if you are.
Transcript of Are you data-driven or addicted to data?
- ARE YOU DATA-DRIVEN OR ADDICTED TO DATA? A SELF DIAGNOSIS THAT STOPS DATA DOPING @TonyClement
- The sexy tools of Big Data. Bedazzling dashboards. Intelligent sounding analytics. DATA DOPING IS THE HABITUAL ABUSE OF ANALYTICS Continually counting KPIs. Collecting more and more data sets. CFOs keeping you up at night. We deserve a healthier relationship with data, but the trend is against us.
- WE ARE BEING DRIVEN TO ADDICTION WITH SO MUCH ANALYTICAL ANXIETY AROUND MARKETING, THE TEMPTATION TO USE DATA FOR SELFISH PURPOSES IS SERIOUSLY STRONG WITH ALL THE GOALS, METRICS AND KPIS TO ANSWER TO, THE PRESSURE TO MAKE DATA SPEAK THE TRUTH IS RELENTLESS
- PROTECT YOURSELF: A SIMPLE SELF DIAGNOSIS 5 SIGNS THAT YOURE HEADING FOR A DATA ADDICTION
- 1 You cant name a soul in the analytics department. i, sad robot. The analytics department is a nameless, faceless jumble of gears, tech and data. They live in the corners of the culture and exist to deliver the data.
- 2 YOU SUFFER FROM DATA WITHDRAWALS. When deprived of data, facts and research you become dazed and disorientated. Unable to give or take direction due to lack of analysis, paralysis. A loss in business instinct is a terrible thing.
- 3 DATA IS PLUCKED WITH NO REMORSE. Charts of research and analysis is lifted out of context to plug gaps in other places. This addictive behavior can seem harmless, but over-plucking can be ugly in the end.
- 4 Youve been hi-jacked by the social listening pirates. You spend more time trying to figure out what social data tools to use, rather than actually using one. They all have such cool names and shiny logos.
- 5 meetings about metrics lead to more meetings about metrics. Youve had so many circular meetings about goal setting, KPIs and metric performance all sense of what real success looks like is lost.
- LETS HAVE A HEALTHIER YEAR OF DATA 5 COUNTER MEASURES TO MAKE DATA WORK FOR GOOD.
- 1 USE INSTINCTS TO GUIDE YOUR ANALYSIS. Trust your intuition. Instinct becomes the experiment and the data will provide the evidence. Be agile in unknown situations build, measure, learn, then build better.
- 2 TURN MINI-METRICS INTO SUPER-METRICS. Less metrics means more focus. Find the mini metrics that are leading, comparable and accountable. Nurture them, grow them, help them become heroes amongst your peers.
- 3 WHEN ANALYZING LOOK FOR HEADLINES, NOT OBSERVATIONS. Treat your reporting, like a reporter. And write your findings as headlines that humans want to read. Remember, your dashboard is competing with gifs and cat videos.
- 4 BUST THAT DATA BELLY. BUST IT HARD. Too much data in your diet? Time to take a look at your dietary needs for analytics and eliminate anything that doesnt promote a lean data environment.
- 5 HELP YOUR ANALYSTS SHINE. Get out of the way of your analysts, and let them tell the story behind their numbers. Often the real insight is not in the charts, but in their narrative.
- SELF DIAGNOSIS SCORECARD Do you... See analysts as delivery bots? Lead with data, instead of instinct? Pluck data to support an agenda? Have more social tools than insight? Have circular meetings about metrics?
- IF SO, TRY THESE COUNTER MEASURES AND ENJOY A DATA DETOX. 1. Use instinct to guide your analytics. 2. Nurture mini metrics into super metrics. 3. Look for headlines, not observations. 4. Bust the data belly by detoxing needless metrics. 5. Help your analyst tell the meta-story.
- LETS MAKE 2014 A HEALTHIER YEAR OF DATA. FOR THE LOVE OF DATA @TonyClement