Activities T1

What are the purposes (functions) of these utterances? 1. It’s a cold one today. [From one neighbor to another as they pass by each other.] So why say it? What is the speaker trying to do here? 2. Teacher: What is 5 + 2? Student: 7. The purpose of the teacher’s question is not to find out the answer to the question. What is it’s purpose? 3. I pronounce you man and wife. [Said by minister.] 4. I promise to be there at five. Why cannot I pronounce somebody man and wife, but I can promise something? 5. Can you lift a hundred pounds? 6. Can you pass me the salt? What is the difference between these two utterances? Can we imagine settings in which ‘‘Can you lift a hundred pounds?’’ (or, say, ‘‘Can you lift a hundred pounds for me?’’) means ‘‘Will you lift a hundred pounds for me?’’ C: This looks like this is an egg. M: Ok well this. . . That’s exactly what it is! How did you know? C: Because it looks like it. M: That’s what it says, see look egg, egg. . .

description

Conversation teenagers

Transcript of Activities T1

What are the purposes (functions) of these utterances?

1. Its a cold one today. [From one neighbor to another as they pass by each other.]

So why say it? What is the speaker trying to do here?

2. Teacher: What is 5 + 2? Student: 7.

The purpose of the teachers question is not to find out the answer to the question. What is its purpose?

3. I pronounce you man and wife. [Said by minister.]

4. I promise to be there at five.

Why cannot I pronounce somebody man and wife, but I can promise something?

5. Can you lift a hundred pounds?6. Can you pass me the salt?

What is the difference between these two utterances? Can we imagine settings in which Can you lift a hundred pounds? (or, say, Can you lift a hundred pounds for me?) means Will you lift a hundred pounds for me?

C: This looks like this is an egg.

M: Ok well this. . .

Thats exactly what it is!

How did you know?

C: Because it looks like it.

M: Thats what it says,

see look egg, egg. . .

. . .Replica of a dinosaur egg.

From the oviraptor.

Crowley & Jacobss paper Islands of expertise and the development of family scientific literacy.

Starbucks is committed to reducing our environmental impact through increased use of post-consumer recycled materials. Help us help the planet.

First -ever 10% post-consumer fiber cup60% post-consumer fiber sleeveIntended for single use only.

2005 Starbucks Coffee Company All rights reservedUS Patent no 5.205.47S and no. 6.863.644 and relatedforeign patents pending

w w w . s t a r b u c k s . c o m / w a y i s e e i t