A lego-lized world of immersive learning environments
Embed Size (px)
Using LEGO in immersive environments and creating transformational learning.
Transcript of A lego-lized world of immersive learning environments
- A Lego-lized World of Immersive Learning Environments Dr. Quiana Bradshaw, DCS Grantham University July 17, 2014
- Lego Meets Virtual World Environment
- Legos are being used in Virtual World Environments Legos are used as a metric and were successful when using in a virtual world environment, such as Second Life. Experimental collaborative projects were conducted at universities in both the UK & Japan.
- Virtual Worlds Facilitate Learning Virtual world enables educational transformation of new learning environments which supports inter-disciplinary learning environments. Lego can be built to be adaptive within a virtual world or immersive learning environment.
- Lego-lized Emerging Technologies
- Meet Lego Mindstorms LEGO building system with the most advanced technology that was developed for Lego users that enjoy that technological edge. The new LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 set to create and command Robots that walk, talk, think and do anything you can imagine.
- Legos Innovative Immersive Learning Collaboration Efforts Asynchronous Learning Synchronous Learning Teamwork Collaboration
- Fusing Lego with Instructional Technologies Instructional technologies can pave the way for the e-learning environment. With much advancement in emerging technologies in our growing society, it leaves room for taking education to the next level. Learning should be essential but also interactive and fun while doing so. The game design elements of the Lego use in a virtual world environment process can be beneficial and ideal for learners to increase their interactivity.
- Lego-lized Learning
- Andragogy Model Adult education that utilizes the andragogy curriculum model shifts the learning focus from the teacher to the learner is what emphasizes this theory. In the online environment, learning styles are pertinent to enhance the college learning experience. There are many virtual platforms various colleges and universities use. Some are Blackboard, Angel, Sakai, and eCollege among many other platforms have structured their platform to manage the learning experience.
- Constructivist Learning Theory With this theory learners construct their own feeling and knowledge on what they experience in the world. So where does Lego-lized learning fit into that?
- Benefits of Constructivist Learning in Immersive Environments Engagement Creativity Collaborative Learning Immersive Facilitation
- Blooms Taxonomy Model The elements of Blooms Taxonomy model which involves 6 distinct elements.
- Transformational Learning Theory Transformative Learning is a theory of deep learning that goes beyond just content knowledge acquisition, or learning equations, or memorizing data applications.
- Ubiquity of Transformational Learning
- Lego-based Video Games
- Legos in Virtual Worlds
- Lego & Computer Science
- Lego & Computer Science, (contd) Computer Science Students at the University of Texas San Antonio are learning with Legos. Students were to build Lego robots and advanced handy-boards were purchased for the computer science students.
- Conclusion Using transformational learning with LEGOs will give educators an idea on how to increase engagement, creativity, and interaction among students. LEGO in immersive world environments are ideal to use in the field of computer science.
- References Lego Website (2014). Mindstorms. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/products/ev3/31313-mindstorms-ev3/ Lego Images (n.d.). Lego Images. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+images&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cTbIU56oM7P98AG4roGYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=6 74 Martin. S. (2010). Learning spaces tasks and metrics for effective communication in Second Life within the context of programming Lego NXT Mindstorms robots-toward a framework for design and implementation. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.academia.edu/423051/Learning_spaces_tasks_and_metrics_for_effective_communication_in_Second_Life_within_the_context_of_programming_LEGO_NXT _Mindstorms_robots-_towards_a_framework_for_design_and_implementation Quaver Music Blog (n.d.). Bloom Taxonomy picture. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://quavermusicblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/BloomsTaxonomy.png Second Life. (2014). About Second Life. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://secondlife.com/ The University of Texas San Antonio (2014). UTSA Computer Science Students Learn with LEGOS. Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://utsa.edu/today/2008/12/lego.cfm Thirteen Education Online Website (2004). What is Constructivism? Retrieved July 17, 2014 from http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/concept2class/constructivism/ Transformative Learning Theory. (n.d.) Core Principles. Retrieve July 17, 2014 from http://transformativelearningtheory.com/corePrinciples.html