11 Relationships (Nathan)
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 11 Relationships (Nathan)
- 1. Whos Your Nathan? Feb 27 th 2009
- 2. We Are, Therefore I Am. (Leonard Sweet, Trinity?) I think, therefore I Am. (Descartes, Reason?) iPod, therefore I Am. (Apple, Capitalism?) I am Loved, therefore I Am. (Bishop of Durham, Paul the Apostle?)
- 3. Your Personal Eleven
- Are your insiders, and will be with you
- Can help you be more fully yourself
- Will mind your business!
- May not even like each other!
- Will (sometimes) appear unexpectedly
- Can bring depth to your life as a disciple of Christ
- 4. Who Are These 11?
- 5. You Need
- An Editor (Nathan)
- A True Friend (Jonathan)
- A Butt-Kicker (Jethro)
- An Heir (Timothy)
- An Encourager (Barnabas)
- A Yoda (Peter/Paul)
- 6. Faithful friends are life-saving medicine. (Sirach 6:16)
- 7. You (Also) Need
- A Back-Coverer (Deborah)
- A Reject (Zacchaeus)
- A Little One (Rhoda)
- A VIP (Lydia, Lazarus, etc.)
- A Place (Jerusalem)
- 8. We Are, Therefore I Am. (Leonard Sweet, Trinity?) I think, therefore I Am. (Descartes, Reason?) iPod, therefore I Am. (Apple, Capitalism?) I am Loved, therefore I Am. (Bishop of Durham, Paul the Apostle?)
- 9. 2 Samuel 12 1 The LORD sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, "There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor . 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him. 4 "Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him." 5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, "As surely as the LORD lives, the man who did this deserves to die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity."
- 10. 7 Then Nathan said to David, " You are the man! This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms. I gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more. 9 Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. 10 Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house , because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.' 11 "This is what the LORD says: 'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will lie with your wives in broad daylight. 12 You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.' "
- 11. 13 Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die." 24 Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and lay with her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The LORD loved him; 25 and because the LORD loved him, he sent word through Nathan the prophet to name him Jedidiah (loved by the Lord).
- 12. So whats the story? All write down 2-3 learning points
- 15. What is the difference between an Accountant and an Editor ? (Discuss)
- 16. Even the best writers in the world needs editors
- 17. Mrs. Wharton not only owes to her cultivated art of putting it the distinction enjoyed when some ideal of expression has the whole of the case, the case once made its concern, in charge, but might further act for us, were we to follow up her exhibition, as lighting not a little that question of tone, the authors own intrinsic, as to which we have just seen Mr. Conrads late production rather tend to darken counsel. Henry James, Times Literary Supplement (April 1914)
- 18. 1. Get Under Your Skin
- 19. The more you allow God to use you, the more you need a Nathan
- 20. 2. Asks you probing questions
- 21. 3. Tells you the (painful) truth
- 23. Do we have spiritual boogers?
- 24. Christ- ianity must not become Nice- ianity
- 25. What is your personal kryptonite? (Write one word)
- 26. A Nathan
- Helps you see the things you are running away from
- Is honest about even the little things (Eph 4:15)
- Reminds you of what you have to do (James 1:22)
- Sacrifices politeness and kindness for impact (will knock you out to perform life-saving surgery on you)
- Pisses you off but makes you think !
- 27. So, whos your Nathan? Who have you been a Nathan to?
- 28. Tie a gift to the saddle
- 29. King Davids sons names were: Solomon Shamua Shobab ? (1 Chronicles 3:5)
- 30. God our Creator is our Re-Creator Marilyn McCord Adams
- 31. God uses our Nathans to re-cr